When I got to high school, my school had a girls hockey team but not a ringette team. Interested in getting the ice time and wanting to play for a school team I decided to try out. I think I was hooked the minute the puck hit my stick blade for the first time! I was thrilled to make the team and then spent the next 5 years playing on three hockey teams each winter and spring. I loved the team dynamics, I loved the friends I made (many whom I am still close with to this day) and I thrived under the leadership provided by the coaches I had.
![]() |
| That's me in the white helmet taking the face off. I scanned this photo from my high school year book! |
When I moved back to Ontario I finally got back into hockey and my love for the game was quickly rekindled. My friends even incorporated skating into my bachelorette party, complete with a veil on my helmet and a jersey with my husband to be's face on the front!
And then I started having kids. And it's been another four year hiatus.
So here I am again, getting antsy to lace up my skates and pass the puck. I can't think of a better way to relieve some stress, get a good workout and get some me time!
I've started to research my options here in Oakville and was impressed with what Canlan Ice Sports had to offer. Their leagues are offered through the Adult Safe Hockey Network. Not only do they offer a women's league and adult power skating and hockey skills, but they also offer a ladies specific beginner hockey skills for anyone looking to get into the sport and ladies intermediate power skating and hockey skills. This might just be the perfect thing to get the rust off my blades and the lead out of my legs!
The next season starts on April 23rd. What do you think, should I lace up my skates? Who's ready to join me?

1 comment:
Hey Kelly! You should definitely LACE UP. I'd love to learn but you sound like you're in a different league than i would be. With 2 boys in hockey and a Dad who's a hockey lifer, I feel a bit left out!
Post a Comment